Sunday, December 16, 2012

Bambi Shapiro Returns!

It has been a very sad few days here in Connecticut . . .
and for the whole world I suppose.
When innocence is lost, it seems that nothing will ever be the same again.
There must be a greater plan, but right now it is hard to see.
I guess that is why we have faith.

I was very lucky to spend Saturday with my good buddy 
Bambi Shapiro (not her real name of course!)
It was comforting to have a friend to talk to,
to contemplate with . . . .
And the distraction of sewing was a nice respite from the sorrow.


Bambi is working on a beautiful quilt-as-you go piece.
Don't you love those colors?!
Yum.


She was practicing her free motion quilting and
she is so good at it!
It's hard to use someone else's machine and
keep the grove and figure it out,
but she did an amazing job!


She got many rows sewn together . . . 


I decided to work on a quilted scarf.
I just love the ease of flying geese, and paper piecing.


I made 13 four geese rows and put them together.
Changing the direction of the geese for variety.


Then of course you need to pick all the paper off the back!
Mindless work that was gratefully accepted at the time.


I cut the batting a quarter of an inch small on all sides
so that I could sew this together with the back and turn it inside out.


A little spray bast kept is all together until I turned it and quilted it.


Bambi advised me to go light on the quilting 
or it would be too stiff to wrap around a neck.


She was right of course, and I did very simple straight line
quilting up and down and around the edges.


Here is my lamp modeling the finished product.
It is warm and cozy and bright and cheery!

Bambi & I also went to the luncheonette 
across the street and had a late lunch.
I love this place so much!
The owner hangs a million decorations from the ceiling
for each holiday.
It's hard to photograph, but it is wonderful 
to be there in person!


So, at the end of this weekend,
I will continue to think about the things I am grateful for, 
and I will pray that the families in Newtown Connecticut find some peace.
Please put them in your prayers too.

3 comments:

  1. Love the gold in Bambi's quilt and your scarf is the cutest. Have you washed it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very sorry for the awful loss of innocent lives...and for our nation, too. We must hold each other up with our love and prayers. Sewing together is one way to start healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so agree....I just had to spend time sewing on Saturday too, as a way to process, distract, comfort.
    Bambi's and your projects look great - thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete